Moorebank Logistics Park
January 2017 saw financial closure reached with the Commonwealth Government on the transformational Moorebank intermodal project in South Western Sydney. The project, branded Moorebank Logistics Park, has attracted significant interest across the property, warehousing and logistics sectors.
Initial planning and development approvals have been received and work is now underway on the 243 hectare site, which will ultimately see development of up to 850,000 square metres of warehousing and two intermodal transport terminals.
Target Australia has signed as the first tenant to have purpose built facilities at Moorebank, with a ten year lease (plus options) for a new warehouse.
Qube Logistics also reached an agreement on a new 5 year (plus options) logistics contract with Target Australia covering the transport of freight by rail from Port Botany to Moorebank.
Critical to the success of Moorebank will be integration with the Import Export (IMEX) rail shuttle. Due for completion by the end of 2018, the shuttle will run non stop between Port Botany and Moorebank.
The Moorebank project, set to become Australia’s largest logistics development, will incorporate the latest automated freight handling technology, including automated gantry cranes and electric driverless straddle carriers.
The first warehouse is due for completion in the first quarter of 2019.
An additional rail terminal servicing regional NSW and interstate is due for completion in late 2020. The total 850,000sqm of warehousing will be delivered in stages over a 10 year period, based on demand and uptake.
At full capacity, the Moorebank Logistics Park will:
- Cut more than 3,000 heavy truck movements from Sydney’s roads each day
- Reduce truck emissions by a total of more than 110,000 tCO2e (tonnes of carbon dioxide equivalent) per year
- Reduce the distance travelled by container trucks on Sydney’s road network by 150,000 kilometres every day, and the distance travelled by long distance interstate freight trucks by 93,000 kilometres every day
- Deliver net annual carbon emission savings equivalent to removing 11,000 vehicles from the road for a full year or burning 25,000 tonnes of coal
- Generate 65,000 MWh/year from renewable energy sources installed on site, capable of powering over 10,000 homes
- Create 6,800 jobs
- Create around $11 billion in economic benefits over 30 years, including $120 million a year for the economy of south-western Sydney, through the improvements to productivity as well as reduced business costs, reduced road congestion and better environmental outcomes.
For further information, visit www.moorebanklogisticspark.com.au